01 April 2020
From: M. E. Black, CAPT USN (Retired), Superintendent, Fishburne Military School
To: Fishburne Military School Corps of Cadets
Subj: GUIDELINES AND EXPECTATIONS FOR REMAINDER OF THE YEAR
The faculty and staff of Fishburne Military School hope you and your families are well. Our preference was to finish the 2019-2020 academic year on campus, but the COVID-19 pandemic means we will instead move forward with a new challenge for FMS, online learning.
Our faculty and staff have expeditiously worked very hard to create a robust online educational experience allowing you to finish the academic year, earn needed credits for graduation, improve your GPA and prepare you for the next stage of your academic pursuits.
The FMS faculty and staff are dedicated to providing you the most complete and equitable educational experience possible. We have decided against live-streaming classes because of differences in family dynamics, time zones and various obstacles. We will instead utilize an asynchronous educational approach. Teachers will publish lessons and assignments in Google Classroom each Monday and require those assignments to be done and turned in on Friday.
In order to award a class credit for your courses, Fishburne must document your attendance. We’ll do this by having teachers post a brief daily assignment for each class. You will be required to answer and turn-in each assignment for a grade on a daily basis by 2359 (11:59 PM) EST.
Communication will be vital to your success. Your teachers will be available throughout the day to respond to emails and phone calls. You will be receiving a lot of information from the school for the next two months, so please vigorously check your Fishburne email throughout this time.
Be safe and well; Godspeed.
Below are explanations and expectations of our new online virtual program.
1. Online classes will begin Monday April 6 via Google Classroom.
A. Google Classroom can be reached through your Fishburne email account.
B. Contact SGT Glass (email@example.com / 540.946.7700 ext 249) if you cannot log-in to Google Classroom or your FMS email.
2. If there is an issue with your internet connectivity, please let your academic advisor know as soon as possible.
A. Most assignments will not require live video streaming or video conferencing.
B. If your device can access email and play standard definition videos, you will be able to complete most assignments.
3. Your parents’ email on file will be included in Google Classroom. Your parents will be invited into your courses and be able to view your assignments.
4. Online classes will last from April 6-May 8. Exams will be the week of May 11-15.
5. You must check-in to each class daily, Monday through Friday, to complete and submit a short assignment.
A. The daily assignment will count as your documented daily attendance
B. The daily assignment will be published by 0900 (9:00 AM) Monday-Friday
C. Daily assignments must be completed prior to 2359 (11:59 PM) EST
D. Failure to complete the task in the allotted time will be ruled as an absence
E. The assignment can be made up for grading purposes, but the absence will remain
F. Have your parents alert your teacher ahead of time if there is a reason you cannot justifiably complete an assignment in time; it can be counted as an excused absence
6. All lessons and assignments for each class will be published on Monday at 0900 (9:00 AM) EST. Assignments will be due the following Friday at 1900 (7:00 PM) EST.
7. All assignments will be graded within one week of their due date.
8. You will receive email alerts from Google Classroom on
A. Individual assignments
B. Math progress reports from ALEKS
C. Full progress reports from your academic advisor
D. Updates from individual teachers on missed assignments or absences
9. You and your parents will receive periodic check-ins from faculty and staff via email and phone. You both will be able to contact teachers via their FMS email and their normal classroom phone extensions.
A. All emails and voicemails will be responded to within 24 hours.
B. All email addresses and phone extensions can be found at:
10. We will continue to have daily Help Class. All teachers will be actively available for emails, phone calls, and video conferencing from 1500-1700 (3:00 PM-5:00 PM) EST daily, Monday-Friday. Again, all emails and voicemails outside of the Help Class hours will be answered within 24 hours.
11. Teachers will not respond to any calls or emails from 1900-0800 (7:00 PM -8:00 AM) EST Monday-Friday.
M. E. Black, CAPT USN (Ret)
Fishburne Military School
Soli Deo gloria